It gives me great pleasure to announce the release of version 3.600 of K-9 Mail. Notable in this release are significant performance improvements and proper support for replying to / forwarding HTML mail.
While K-9 was originally "my fault", its continued success wouldn't be possible without the hard work of a number of contributors and committers. At the risk of accidentally leaving out any recent contributor, I'd particularly like to thank (in alphabetical order):
achen.code, cketti, fiouzy, hiranotaka, jca02266, kris.p.wong, and marcus.wolschon
Their bug triage and commits are a big part of why K-9 is as wonderful as it is.
A rough changelog of "important" updates in K-9 3.6 follows:
- Restore "only vibrate once" vibration notification option.
- Add a setting to enable Outlook-style message quoting.
- Add a setting to allow users to always show email addresses instead of the "friendly" parts of email addresses.
- Add a setting to disable unread count in notification bar.
- Add a setting to change the font size of the message preview in the message list. Fixes issue 2788
- Round account color chips
- Be a little more graceful when scrolling horizontally in a (vertical) scroll view. Not quite to the point of diagonal scrolling, but hopefully closer.
- Visual cleanup to Message Lists, Message views
- Stop showing "Not polling" in the status header. Most of the time, this is because Push mail is enabled.
- Improve the first page of the wizard on tablet-scale devices
- Added a Brazilian Portugese translation from Marcio Viterbo
- Updated Italian translation from Giuseppe Arrigo and Paolo Maccione. Fixes issue 2778
- Updated Czech translation from lubekgc. Fixes issue 2808
- Updated German translation with slightly modified version of the patch provided by OliverMe?...@googlemail.com
- Updated Italian translation from paolo.maccione
- Updated Spanish translation from Adolfo Gutiérrez Ocaña
- Improved emoji support for a wide variety of carriers. HIRANO Takahito
- Support for emoji in message subjects. HIRANO Takahito
- Allow emoji input on Japanese devices. HIRANO Takahito
- Implement phonetic search of Contacts on Eclair and earlier.
- Upgrade to a newer version of MIME4J to gain significant performance improvements from the past few years of development
- Enable Strict Mode when a new "developer mode" is enabled and we're running on 2.3 or newer
- Update URL regexes by importing from AOSP and then from IANA
- Initial implementation of folder attributes on the folder, rather than in preferences
- Improve generation of plain text versions of HTML mail
- Improve generation of message previews
- Improve performance of account statistics generation.
- Call the routine to convert emoji to images only when a message actually contains emoji.
- Batch storing of unsynced messages to speed up DB update (chunk size set to 5).
- Execute LocalMessage?.appendMessage() & LocalMessage?.setFlag() in the same transaction for small message storing in order to speed up DB update.
- When mail is sent successfully, cancel the "couldn't send mail" notification
- Don't notify for new mail in a designated spam folder
- Prevent new mail notifications for IMAP messages older than our most recent message.
- Use a heuristic to try to avoid notifying POP3 users about older mail messages
- Preserve HTML formatting when replying to or forwarding HTML mail
- Clean up the display of quoted messages on the mail composition screen.
- When editing a previously saved draft, only show the BCC field if it has entries other than the auto-bcc for that account.
- Switch from generating X-User-Agent to User-Agent headers. Fixes issue 1917
- Use full email addresses as usernames for alternate Yahoo! domains.
- Add support for other Yahoo! domains (ymail.com, rocketmail.com)
- Set up some reasonableish defaults for which folders to sync when creating a new account.
- Correctly encode/escape strings when used in IMAP commands. Fixes issue 2832
- Escape backslashes in IMAP mailbox names
- Fix for the "K9 skips every 101st message when fetching on IMAP" bug by e-t172 <e-...@akegroup.org>. Fixes Issue 2819
- Better handle the case where a list in an IMAP response is prematurely ended by CRLF. Fixes issue 2852
- Changed SMTP code to handle reply codes without additional text. Fixes issue 2801
- Try using IP addresses for EHLO if the local hostname is unavailable. Only use a default hostname if the IP address is unavailable. ref r2958, issue 2750 .
- Fix usage of 'advanced' exchange settings.
- Fix form based re-authentication when logon cookies had expired.
- Don't reset visible limits every time K-9 is opened, only when the user changes how many messages they want to be synced.